home | forms | site map | contact

Village and Hamelts

 

Click on Button Below

Claverack Hamlet

Churchtown

Hollowville

Mellenville

Philmont

 

 

Churchtown residence
Churchtown residence

Churchtown  (Taken in part from the writings of Captain Franklin Ellis, 1878)

Churchtown
Churchtown

Churchtown is a hamlet three miles south from Claverack village. It is partly situated in the towns of Livingston and Taghkanic. Among the first settlers were the Hagadorns. Frederick Houser was also an early settler. Robert Bortle had one of the pioneer stores in the hamlet, that later became a tavern.

The hamlet of Churchtown developed around a Lutheran church built to serve the residents of Livingston manor and the Van Rensselaer Lower Manor. The church property, and the hamlet, is located on the Claverack and Livingston border at the intersection of County Routes 27 and 12.



Churchtown streetview
Churchtown streetview


There is an active volunteer fire company in Churchtown.

To read Captain Ellis' full description of Churchtown, click here.