Gallery of Historic Sites Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr were among those who tried cases in Claverack’s first court house. Martin Van Buren was admitted to the bar here. The court moved to Hudson in 1805.Early Columbia County school established in 1779. Later became Claverack College and Hudson River Institute until its closing in 1902. (Claverack Marker)Boston & Albany Railroad Locomotive Accident scene in the summer of 1892. (Photo taken by Rowles Studios, Warren Street, Hudson)Opening Day line-up of the then new Town Building on County Route 217 in Mellenville, NY. These days, the Town Court is located in the upstairs portion fo the building, monthly town meetings are held here and the lower area is primarily used for the storage and loading of road-salt during the snowy winter months.(9/15/1962)The Old Claverack Post Office in the early 1950’s. It was situated where the Xtramart is now located at the intersection of State Routes 23 and 9H.The Claverack Library can be seen looking west from the junction of Routes 9 and 23 in the center of the Hamlet of Claverack. Gas pumps from what is known today as Xtramart can also be seen. (Original postcard photograph by O. Wiencke, Photographer & Publisher, Philmont, NY.)War Service Monument Monument erected in honor of the men and women of Claverack who served their country in World War I and World War II, Claverack, NY. (Original postcard photograph by O. Wiencke, Photographer & Publisher, Philmont, NY.)The Memorial Hall on Route 23B in Claverack seen here in its original pristine state. This building can still be seen today in operation as one of our churches. (undated)Another photograph of the same building. Notice that the bell is now in the bell-tower. (Original postcard photograph by O. Wiencke, Photographer & Publisher, Philmont, NY.)Claverack Grange Original postcard photograph by O. Wiencke. Photographer & Publisher, Philmont, NY. (undated)The Old Claverack Convenience Store at the intersection of what we now know as State Routes 9H and 23. (undated)A view of the Claverack Creek bridge on State Route 23B after it had been washed away during the hurricane of September, 1938.